For A Legal Name Change, Work Closely With An Experienced Lawyer
You may wish to pursue a legal name change for one or more of these reasons:
- To eliminate or reduce errors in daily life if your given name has an unusual spelling or pronunciation
- To change, add or subtract surnames — such as when Spanish-speakers want to add a hyphen between paternal and maternal surnames, combine an original surname and a spouse’s surname, or remove a mother’s surname
- To adopt an “Americanized” first name if your given name creates obstacles in daily life or comes from an entirely different naming tradition
- For changes in gender identification
These are just a few examples of why people seek legal name changes. Whatever your reasons, it is important to follow legal requirements. You will want to avoid any appearance that you are trying to hide from law enforcement or otherwise deceive or defraud anyone. There are specific parental notification requirements for changing a child’s name. And if you are changing your name because of a divorce, you should be able to accomplish this through the divorce petition and decree. Talk to an attorney for clarification and direction about your particular situation or your child’s situation.
The Law Office of Yolanda Castro-Dominguez, PLLC, in Irving, Texas, provides a full array of family law services and related legal services such as assistance with real estate transactions, estate planning and name changes.
What To Do When You Are Thinking About A Name Change
For best results, consult with a lawyer as soon as you are considering petitioning a court for a name change. We can advise you on ways to streamline necessary steps and prevent trouble with regard to:
- Real estate titles and deeds
- Passports and driver’s licenses
- Marriage or divorce
- Social Security
- School and professional records
- Licenses and permits
- Financial records such as debt repayment
- Other legal matters such as adoption, bankruptcy
Bring your proposal and concerns to our attention, and we will gladly help you pursue the desired name change and advise you on any related matters such as those listed above.